20 August 2006

Mexican Restaurant

As promised, Peter and I took Kathleen out to a restaurant on Thursday this week. We went to the Mexican Cafe in downtown Auckland. We arrived about 7 o'clock and it was already quite crowded. I think we got the last table on the balcony.

When Kathleen and I were in Wellington last time (about six weeks ago) we went out with the family to Mungavin Blues restaurant in Porirua. On that occasion Kathleen was very unhappy, did not want to sit in the highchair by herself, wanted Mummy to hold her the whole time, etc. So naturally it was with a bit of trepidation that I took her out again.

20060817d Kat at the Mexican CafeThe first thing we did was to sit her down in the highchair by herself. I was expecting her to start screaming immediately but she was content to just sit there and look around at everyone and everything. There were lots of lights and lots of people and lots of noise. She looked a bit stunned but was definitely taking everything in.

Now, bringing your own food along to a restaurant is utterly rude, but a baby can get away with anything. So we brought along her bowl and spoon, and a banana. Banana's have got to be the easiest of all baby foods - simply peel, mash and eat. No warming up required, no refrigeration required. And they're so yummy. It was also a good distraction to stop Kat getting too bored while we waited for our meals.

I ordered the chicken burrito and Peter had the beef platter grande. Our meals arrived while Kat was still eating hers, so we took turns feeding her. Kat's spoon in one hand, my fork in the other hand, one bite for you, one bite for me. Just don't get the hands mixed up ... I don't think she'd like the jalapenos too much. Neither did I.

All in all it was a great night out. Of course it was a lot different from going out before Kat was born - we didn't stay out too long and keep her up late (no dessert for us), conversation was pretty limited as our attention was on her most of the time, but it was incredibly fun to share the experience with her, and see her looking round open-mouthed in wonder.

We will definitely be doing it again.


20060817e Kat and Daddy at the Mexican Cafe
20060817f Kat and Mummy at the Mexican Cafe
20060817g Kat and Daddy eating dinner


-Megz

1 comment:

Erin said...

Call me a typical American, but it never occurred to me that folks in New Zealand like Mexican food too! We've taken Calum to several restaurants, of course all Mexican. He is starting to like it, especially watching all the other people.

Wow... your little one is crawling. I count myself lucky for now, as Cal still can't get his big belly off the floor. Once he does, we'll be off & running!