08 March 2007

Going to America

Just a quick note to say that we're on our way to America (in a few hours). Going to take Kathleen to meet her extended family, and also to attend the funeral/burial for Peter's grandfather at Arlington.

It's going to be a long flight. We depart Wellington at 0945 Thursday (NZ time) and three or four flights later land in New Hampshire at 1730 Friday (NZ time). That's almost 32 hours!!! Not to mention that after we arrive in New Hampshire we spend one night in a motel before driving to Maine the following day. So we don't actually arrive at our final destination (Uncle Dick's house) until 0600 Saturday (NZ time). That's 44 hours travelling!!!

The flight from Wellington to Auckland is only one hour, and then we get to spend the day in Auckland visiting our old friends and workmates. I am very much looking forward to seeing my coffee group again and seeing how much the babies have changed and grown. I cant' wait to give them all cuddles!

Then we have a 12 hour flight to LA. It's an overnight flight so hopefully Kathleen will sleep. We then have a few hours in LA before a 6-7 hour flight to New Hampshire.

I'm very nervous about flying with Kathleen for such long distances, as she is teething again and has been quite irritable lately. And she hates to sit still for any length of time. Boy this is going to be fun :-(

So we fly into Manchester, New Hampshire and drive to Bath, Maine. Anyone would think we were going to England, not New England.

We have been following the weather in Maine for the last month or so. In the last couple of weeks the temperature has actually risen above freezing. But not by much. I don't think it's gone above 5 degrees Celsius. And right now my website is telling me it is -11 at 1.30 in the afternoon. That's right, MINUS 11 degrees Celsius.

For the last couple of months I've been busy buying winter clothes for Kathleen from second hand shops and TradeMe. I think she'll be ok. Her bag of clothes is bigger than mine!! But then I don't spill my food on my shirt every day like she does ;-P

Well gotta go now. Wish us luck!!! There will hopefully be lots of posts while we're gone, and lots of photos to share.

-Megz

No comments: