25 January 2009

Triathlon

New Years Resolution No 4 has been completed. Yesterday I competed in the MORE FM triwoman event in Palmerston North.

Let me just say this from the outset - it wasn't a race. I wasn't out to beat anyone. I entered it just for the challenge of competing and the thrill of finishing.

I did my first triathlon in January 2005 along with my friend Tess, back when we lived in Auckland and before I had kids. I still remember the incredible buzz I got just from crossing the finish line. It was probably the biggest physical challenge I'd ever done at that stage.

And since then I've always wanted to do it again. But in January 2006 Kathleen was born. January 2007 we'd just moved to Wellington and that's no excuse but I made it my excuse anyway because I was too intimidated to do it without a friend. January 2008 Victoria was only 2 months old. But by January 2009 I had no excuse. Well, I could have used the "I've just moved house and don't have anyone to do it with" excuse, but I've really been kicking myself for doing that last time and I wasn't going to put it off again. So I set myself the challenge and entered.

Training has been a problem. Basically there hasn't been any. I look after the children all day long. And lately if I do get a break I've been busy working outside on the farm, taking care of the garden/weeds mostly, or working inside on unpacking our stuff still. In the evenings after the girls are in bed I'm usually too tired to do anything. A professional triathlete yesterday said she has kids (older), works full time and has a lifestyle block the same size as ours - so she gets up at 5am to train. Well bugger that! I need my sleep.

So I set off yesterday for the triathlon not having done any training at all. I haven't been swimming since the last triathlon I did. I've only ridden a bike once since then, and that was only to the shops and back.

I found I wasn't as nervous as last time. Maybe that's because I kinda knew what to expect.

The swim was six lengths of the outdoor pool at the Lido Aquatic Centre. I expected this to be pretty tough and it was. I can swim well enough, but I don't have much strength so I was pretty slow. Hopping out of the pool and running to the transition area to get my bike, my legs were pretty wobbly.

The bike leg went from the Lido to the edge of town and back again via the riverside drive. There were two laps of this course. Last time around I surprised myself by finding the cycle leg pretty easy and was passing people all over the place. This time around I found it more difficult and people were passing me. I'm wondering if maybe I didn't use the gears on the bike properly. I pretty much stayed in the same gear the whole time and had a very steady rythym going, but it wasn't fast.

Getting off the bike at the end my legs felt like jelly. It was hard to walk, let alone run. But I set off at a very slow jog around the course which wound through The Esplanade to the river, and back along Fitzherbert Ave to the BP and then across Manawaroa Park to the finish line. Last time around I found the running leg the hardest. This time around I was able to keep running for about 90% of the time, albeit at a very slow jog at first as my legs just wouldn't work. I ran the final leg acros the field (500 metres?) and crossed the finish line tired but happy.

I got my results off the web last night. I didn't do as well as I did in 2005 but I guess that's to be expected from not training. I did about the same in the swim, worse in the cycling but better in the running. I'm not sure why that is. I think because last time around I used to regularly do aerobics at the gym once a week, I had more strength. But for the last four years my only form of exercise has been regularly walking around Island Bay, either pushing a stroller or carrying a child. So I think my endurance has increased because pushing a buggy uphill while also carrying groceries is certainly not easy.

Overall though I'm happy with my results.

I would like to challenge my Palmerston North based friends to join me next year. With their buy-in maybe we can find some time to train together and do even better next year!!!

-Megz

2 comments:

RePete said...

"Let me just say this from the outset - it wasn't a race. I wasn't out to beat anyone. I entered it just for the challenge of competing and the thrill of finishing."

Bwahahahaha~ Says she who also said:

"I'm not stopping to send you a text"

...and got upset when I said something like "how long it took didn't matter because it's not like you're racing"...;-)

Megz said...

OK I wrote that comment in my blog for your benefit ... you seemed to be indicating that because I hadn't done any training then I wasn't a serious competitor, as though I should be in training to win the thing. I wasn't doing it to win or to beat anybody else. BUT that doesn't mean I didn't want to do the best I possibly could. And stopping to unlock a bike or send a text message would not be doing the best that I could.