19 February 2009

The Honesty of People in a Small Town

I haven't been sleeping well lately. Last night was particularly bad. I slept for two hours, was awake for two hours, then slept for another three hours. And that was it for the night. I put it down to the fact that I drank a bottle of V yesterday to help me cope with the fact that I hadn't slept very well the night before that either.

So today I have been pretty tired. As well I've been cranky, forgetful and found it hard to concentrate.

This morning Peter and I had a meeting at our lawyers so the girls and I went up to Palmerston North for the day. When we were finished at the laywers we still had some time left on our parking meter so we went for a walk around the block, Kathleen walking and Victoria in the stroller. When we got back to the car I loaded the girls into the car and off we went to a cafe in the country for lunch.

It was an hour or two later when I was sick of carrying Victoria around and wanting to put her into the stroller, when I realised that I didn't remember putting it back into the car after our walk around the block. A quick check confirmed that, yup, it wasn't there. Damn.

We finished up our lunch and went back to our lawyers, just on the off-chance that it was still there sitting by the side of the road. It wasn't.

I asked at the laywers if they'd seen anything. No, nothing. I resigned myself to the fact that it was gone. Best case scenario I figured a parking warden may have taken it away. Worst case someone pinched it.

There was a bank next door to the lawyers so I decided to ask in there anyway. And, lo and behold, there was our stroller sitting in their foyer.

I confessed to the teller what an idiot I was and she said that she'd noticed the stroller sitting by the side of the road when she went to lunch at 1 o'clock, and it was still there when she came back at 2 o'clock. She guessed what had happened and brought it inside.

Now it had actually been sitting there since 12 o'clock! Two hours!

The honesty of small town people really does surprise and hearten me.

-Megz

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what do you mean small town? Palmy is not a small town. It has between 80,000 and 90,000 people in it. Now, my love, Shannon's a small town; you could even call Levin a small town, but Palmerston North. I think not. It's just the right size!

Megz said...

Ok, point taken. Palmy's not a small town. But it *feels* small. Now if I lived in Shannon and I left the stroller on the main street, I'd probably come home to find it sitting on my front door step!